We have now entered the New Year and with that brings the opportunity to plan your garden for the year ahead. Get sowing! There are a number of seeds you can sow now that will produce flowers in spring and summer. Kick start the growing season now.
Early sowing Do’s and Don’ts
- Do use new compost – the best compost to use is free draining but yet holds enough moisture. Peat free compost would be ideal to use.
- Do reserve a bright and warm windowsill for your seeds.
- Do sow seeds even more thinly than usual. This gives the seeds space to grow
- Do give germinating seeds loads of air by opening windows or vents
- Don’t use too much heat – results are a bit slower but there’s less risk of legginess and more damping off
- Don’t place the trays with your seeds in near drafts which can dry out the seeds.
- Don’t forget to water, but don’t over water. Using a spray bottle is an easy way to water your seeds without over watering them
- Don’t forget to check your seeds everyday
5 Seeds to plant during January
Sow thinly in trays of seed compost with 1/3 vermiculite, barley cover with vermiculite. For the first here weeks keep the seedlings in the fridge. Then in a temperature range of 15-21 °c.
Germination takes roughly between 7-28 days. Delphinium flowers in June and July.
Sow 1-2 seeds in small pots and using seed compost with 1/3 vermiculite. Keep in a temperature range of 18-21°c. Germination can take up to 5-20 days.
Dahlias flower from July to October or November.
Sow thinly on the surface in small trays of seed compost and with 1/3 filled with vermiculite. Lightly dust the vermiculite to barley cover.
Keep in temperatures ranging from 24-27°c. Keep somewhere the seedlings will get light to germinate. Germination will take 14 days.
Petunias flower late June to September.
4. Sweet Peas
Sow seeds 6cm deep in tubes or 7cm pots using seed compost and fill 1/3 with horticultural grit.
Keep in temperatures of 12°c in an unheated greenhouse or a cool place. Germination takes between 10-14 days.
Sweet peas flower May to August.
Sow thinly on the surface of pots or trays filled with seed compost and cover with vermiculite.
Keep in temperatures ranging from 15-25°c. Germination takes up to 14-21 days depending on the temperature.
Harvest Basil from May until October.
We’re here to help
If you need any help with picking out the right seeds for you or and questions about sowing seeds talk to any of our horticulturists in store or contact us on social media. We’d love to help!
Grow It Seed Tray (5 Pack)
Grow It Seed Trays are perfect for growing seeds and cuttings. These large premium quality trays are used by professional growers. They are strong and lightweight with raised drainage holes for easy maintenance. They are also stackable for easy storage.
Vermiculite 10L helps retain moisture and nutrients and provides insulation for healthy seed germination. This is a naturally occurring mineral that is heated to high temperatures to produce lightweight absorbent flakes.
Shamrock Multi-Purpose Compost 75L
Shamrock Multi-purpose Compost contains the perfect balance of nutrients combined with high quality Irish sphagnum. This multi-purpose compost works hand in hand with nature to promote and enhance healthy plant growth and development. Ideal for sowing seeds in pots and containers as well as planting outdoors.