We’ve compiled some grow your own tips for growing your own vegetables and herbs:
You will need:
Guide to growing your vegetables:
- Plant in a sunny spot in your garden.
- Dig an area of soil a few square meters in size. Put some Naturesafe plant food in the ground before planting.
- Decide what vegetables you want to grow, and follow the instructions on the labels of the ready grown vegetable plants.
- Plant directly into the soil or into containers
- Protect any tender crops with a polytunnel or cloche if the weather gets cold or frosty.
- Harvest your crops in the morning or evening when the weather is cooler and your crops are less likely to wilt.
While you’re at it, you might as well add some flavour to your home-grown meals! Growing your own herbs is also a quick and easy process.
Many people recognise herbs as being very useful in the kitchen. What many people don’t realise is that they also make for great plants to have in the garden.
We would recommend to those starting out planting herbs to use starter seed packs.
Alternatively, you can also buy our herb plants in store, grown by Youngs Nursery in Limerick and Rentes Nursery in Kildare.
Guide to growing your own Herbs from seed
- Fill some small pots with moist compost.
- Sprinkle your herb seeds into your pots
- Pour a layer of loose compost on top of this
- Wrap the top of the pot with clingfilm which will allow the seeds to germinate
- After a few weeks, leaves should begin to appear
- Thin out these leaves
We’re here to help
If you have any questions about growing herbs and vegetables talk to any of our horticulturists in store. We now have herb plants and vegetable plants in stock and a full range of speed potatoes and onion sets. If you have a specific problem like pest damage on a plant, it’s really helpful to bring us a photo of it. We’d love to help.