Some interesting plants that will brighten up any shade area.
Ferns are wonderful plants to have in the shade border and there are such a selection to choose from, they have the most beautiful and unusual leaf shape and are either deciduous or evergreen. Available in a range of colours from green to lime green, copper to golden yellow, silver grey / pewter and variegated also. They add great contrast and structure to any area.
Astilbe’s are deciduous, are akin to the wild flower Meadowsweet and have the most beautiful scent. Leaf colour ranges from bronze to green to light green and the ‘fluffy’ flower comes in an array of colours, white, cream, pinks, purples and reds.
- Brunnera are semi-evergreen with the most striking leaf colour, green and silver or cream and green variegation on heart shaped leaves. The delicate forget-me-not type flower gives a wonderful display above the heart shaped leaves.
- Hellebores are evergreen with striking green, marbled, marbled with pink/purple hint to the stem, and blue/green silver leaves. Beautiful flowers come in a range of colours from white and green, and an assortment of shades of pinks, purples, reds and yellow, some with single and double flower heads and others with the most beautiful markings on the petals, depending on the variety.
You can view our blog on Hellebores here.
- Luzula nivea is an evergreen clump forming plant, with grass like leaves and white flowers, a beautiful addition to any shade area.
- Hosta – such a selection to choose from, from low growing to really tall, with a range of colours from, grey/green, greens, yellows and white, with every combination of variegation imaginable. These beautiful plants are herbaceous perennials, so they will die down in autumn and emerge again the following spring.
- Liriope muscari are evergreen clump forming plants with tick grass like leaves, flowers can be violet blue, lilac or white depending on the variety. Ranging in height from 20cm to 45cm.
- Pulmonaria are semi evergreen spreading plants, they have the most beautiful and unusual leaf marking, depending on the variety. Green with mottling/spotty silvery white, some with silver leaves that give great contrast in any border. Flowers range in colour from blues, purples, pinks, orange, reds, violet and white.
- Epimedium can be evergreen or deciduous clump forming plants, leaves are heart shaped and range in colour from green and lime green, and tinted or mottled in shades of burgundy and copper. Beautiful delicate flowers grow above the leaves that are sometimes two tone, and come in a range of colours form pink/ white, yellow and purple/pink and flower in spring.
- Polygonatum (Solonom’s Seal) has an architectural arching stem with delicate, sometimes hidden white flower that hangs from the stem itself. This fabulous plant with tolerate lots of shade and is an ideal plant for structure, and the variegated variety with its delicate white leaf edge will brighten up any shady corner.