Feeding wild birds can be a delightful way to connect with nature and support local wildlife, but it’s important to approach it with care and knowledge. Beyond simply scattering seeds, there are several key considerations to ensure that our feathered friends can access the nourishment we provide safely and effectively.
From selecting the right types of food to understanding feeder placement and maintenance, here are eight essential things you need to know about feeding wild birds.
1. To make sure birds are able to escape from predators, place feeders at least 2 meters away from trees or hedges.
2. Make sure birds are able to replace the energy they have lost overnight by putting bird food out in the morning.
3. Make sure birds have plenty of fresh clean water for drinking and bathing by providing a bird bath. During freezing weather, break the ice if the water freezes over to ensure they can get to it.
4. Have multiple feeding sites, this helps to stop overcrowding and competition for food.
5. Clean out feeders regularly using disinfectant.
6. Adding chilli pepper powder to bird food or buying hot pepper flavoured bird food will help stop squirrels from robbing the food. Squirrel-proof bird feeders are also a great way of preventing them from robbing bird food.
7. Feed little and often. It is better to top up feeders than leaving them full. This helps preventing the food from going damp and mouldy.
8. Different types of food attract different types of birds;
DIY Bird Feeder
Check out our Instagram Reel for a step-by-step guide on creating your own bird feeder with just a few simple materials!
Get in Touch!
If you have any questions about feeding your birds contact us on social media- @CountryLifeGC (Links in footer). If you have a specific problem such as pest damage it’s really helpful to send us a picture- we’d love to help!
Peckish Squirrel Proof Bird Food 1kg
Peckish squirrel proof bird food suet pellets are high in energy with added hot pepper flavour which make them squirrel proof.
Peckish Secret Garden Bird Bath
An easy to assemble attractive black metal bird bath that will attract an variety of wild birds to your garden all year round. No tools are required for assembled meaning you can enjoy this addition to your garden instantly.
Peckish Complete Easy Feeder
The Peckish Complete Easy Feeder is the ideal feeder for both beginner and experienced bird feeders. The ready to use filler is already stocked with Peckish Complete All Season Mix, proven to attract birds to your garden. The bird feeder is easy to use and refillable.