Without realising it, there is more to feeding wild birds than just putting out some bird seeds anywhere. There are a number of factors to make sure birds will get the feed you leave out for them and they can eat it safely.
1.To make sure birds are able to escape from predators, place feeders at least 2 meters away from trees or hedges.
2. Make sure birds are able to replace the energy they have lost overnight by putting bird food out in the morning.
3. Make sure birds have plenty of fresh clean water for drinking and bathing by providing a bird bath. During freezing weather, break the ice if the water freezes over to ensure they can get to it.
4. Have multiple feeding sites, this helps to stop overcrowding and competition for food.
5. Clean out feeders regularly using disinfectant
6. Adding chilli pepper powder to bird food or buying hot pepper flavoured bird food will help stop squirrels from robbing the food. Squirrel-proof bird feeders are also a great way of preventing them from robbing bird food.
7. Feed little and often. It is better to top up feeders than leaving them full. This helps preventing the food from going damp and mouldy.
8. Different types of food attract different types of birds;
Get in Touch!
If you have any questions about your feeding birds contact us on social media- @CountryLifeGC (Links in footer). If you have a specific problem such as pest damage it’s really helpful to send us a picture- we’d love to help!