Without realising it, there is more to feeding wild birds than just putting out some bird seeds anywhere. There are a number of factors to make sure birds will get the feed you leave out for them and they can eat it safely.
Here are our top tips for feeding birds.
1. To make sure birds are able to escape from predators, place feeders at least 2 meters away from trees or hedges.
2. Make sure birds are able to replace the energy they have lost overnight by putting bird food out in the morning.
3. Make sure birds have plenty of fresh clean water for drinking and bathing by providing a bird bath. During freezing weather, break the ice if the water freezes over to ensure they can get to it.
4. Have multiple feeding sites, this helps to stop overcrowding and competition for food.
5. Clean out feeders and water drinkers regularly using a mild disinfectant.
6. Adding chilli pepper powder to bird food or buying hot pepper flavoured bird food will help stop squirrels from robbing the food. Squirrel-proof bird feeders are also a great way of preventing them from robbing bird food.
7. Feed little and often. It is better to top up feeders than leaving them full. This helps preventing the food from going damp and mouldy.
8. Different types of food attract different types of birds;
For more information check out our blog Feeding Wild Native Irish Birds to discover more about feeding birds.
We’re here to help
If you need any help with deciding which bird food to feed or have any questions about birds talk to any of our horticulturists in store. We’d love to help. Shop our wide range of bird food and accessories online.