Woodford produce top quality gates at their premises in Co. Cavan. All gates are manufactured from imported softwood, using traditional mortice and tenon joints and glue for added strength and durability. When the gates are completely assembled they are pressure treated. This means that no cut ends are left exposed and untreated.
As with all natural timber products, the gates are subject to change depending on the weather conditions and cracks and splits can occur. Timber is a natural product and this is not considered to be a fault or defect.
Please Note: Our prices are for a single gate only. Gate posts and hardware are sold separately.
Choosing the Right Gate
The first step to choosing the right gate is measuring your area. The best way to do this is to take a tight measurement from pier to pier or post to post. There is no need to allow space for hinges. Woodford will automatically leave enough space for their hinges.
Next, you will need to decide on the style of gate you are looking for. Woodford offer a great range of Field, Gooseneck and Driveway Gates for you to choose from.
Posts and hardware
Once you have measured your area and decided on the style of your gate, you will need to think about the posts and hardware that you will need to hang your gate. Remember: Our prices are for a single gate only. Gate posts and hardware are sold separately. You can view our gate posts and hardware here.
Placing your order
When ordering a gate online, please provide the below information in the delivery instructions box:
- Is the gate left hanging or right hanging? If ordering 2 gates, do you wish them to be a pair?
- What is the measurement of the opening? (Take a tight measurement from post to post. Do not allow for hinges)
- Please state whether the gate(s) will be hung on timber posts or concrete piers. (The hardware for each is a slightly different size so this affects the finished size of the gate).
- How do I know what size gate I need?
The correct method of measuring is to take a tight measurement from pier to pier or post to post. Woodford will allow for the use of their hinges when they are manufacturing the gate, however this will only work if you use Woodford hinges.
- Do I leave space for hinges?
No, as per above, Woodford will allow for hinge spacing. (This applies for Woodford hinges only).
- Does the gate come with hinges?
No, all gates are priced singly without hinges or hardware. These can be bought separately.
- Does the gate come with posts?
No, posts are extra and are available in different sizes and lengths, we recommend heavier posts for longer gates.
- How do I know which side my gate hangs from?
Most gates have a left and right side, when ordering we need to know which side you will be placing the hinges on in order to determine which direction the bolts will go through the cross members.
- Can I purchase a higher gate than specified in the listing?
No, Woodford only manufacture 2 heights in gates depending on the type of gate. Standard height for most gates is 1.2m.
- What can I paint the gate with to preserve it?
We recommend Restol preserver however, Ronseal, Cuprinol or Sadolin will also work. All gates are pressure treated during manufacture.
- What’s the difference between the premium gate and the country style gate?
The main difference is the thickness of the timber used in each gate. The premium gate has much heavier timber and as such is more expensive.
- Are Woodford hinges galvanised?
Yes, all gate hardware is fully galvanised and includes bolts/screws.
- How long will it take for my gate(s) to arrive once I have placed an order?
It can take between 4 and 6 weeks for your gate(s) to be manufactured and delivered.
If you have any questions or require any further information, feel free to contact our Customer Service Team on 0818 321 321 or at email@example.com